Sierra MC7455 mPCIE (USB) Card Not Detected

Just what the title says, is there something special required to make this work? Its listed under supported hardware, but the device plugged in in either mPCIE slot doesn’t cause it to show up in lsusb. Stock Debian 5.10 kernel.

It is likely due to not having the control lines/GPIOs set up. Some cards will not start without a signal from the host.
The MiniPCIe slots on the Ten64 don’t have them as they are intended for WiFi cards.

The best thing to do would be to use the M.2 version - EM7455 instead. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Ah! Wow, that’s a real shame. So those lines aren’t hooked up at all? I suppose I can drop the card back in the APU2 it came out of, but that’s quite a shame. Since I have it out, is there some pin worth covering to convince it to work?

The problem with MiniPCIe is that PCIe and USB3 share the same sets of pins, that could be confusing the MC7455, indeed there is a footnote in the MC7455 technical specification about this:

The module must not (emphasis mine) be plugged into a port that supports PCI Express —the pin is used by a PCIE signal, which can cause the module to be in reset state or occasionally reset

Unless the slot has been designed specifically to have a cellular card in there there will be issues.
The SIM tray is only wired to the M.2 key B slot which will be the next roadblock.

The SIM tray is only wired to the M.2 key B slot which will be the next roadblock.

Right, I figured by grabbing one of the cheap “wire this sim slot in” adapters it’d suddenly work, but sadly it does not (the same adapter works fine in the APU2, so its not just because its cheap).

If you can disconnect (or cover up) the USB3 pins (23,25,31,33) + 11 (REFCLK- , but MC7455 uses as 1.8V output), and maybe 22 (PCIe reset) you might get lucky.

According to the MC7455 documentation it uses pin 20 for power on/off and if left unconnected (which it is) it should power up by default

Heh, well that did seem to work.

1 Like